When a 65 year old French lady leaned over on the tram and told me how classy I looked, you can imagine that I was very excited. More than that, I felt that I was finally a part of the noise and colors of Nice.  Even though she had to repeat herself a few times before I understood her words, I couldn’t believe she had assumed that I was French. After I explained that I was an American study abroad student, she slowed down and we had a fascinating discussion about the education system.  She explained that she completely supported the compulsory English lessons in French schools, since most of her generation had never had the chance to learn English.

It was only an hour later, when I grasped the significance of this experience.  The fact that a native nicoise had thought I was just as French as she was demonstrated a monumental leap forward in my development here.   A fuzzy feeling spread throughout my body, as I realized the extent to which my linguistic skills and cultural awareness have progressed since my arrival.  Then I had another thought–I only had about 5 more weeks left in Nice. The warm fuzzy feeling promptly left me.

In the short time I’ve been here, I have fallen in love with the south of France and its easy-going way of life. Between the group excursions, the wine on the beach, the salsa dancing, and the cat that snores loud enough that I’m forced to kick her out each night in order to get some sleep, I have grown in so many different directions, and have collected a vast array of life experiences that I’ll never forget.  I am excited to discover Paris this coming semester in the way I discovered and appreciated Nice, but because I enjoyed Nice so thoroughly, I also don’t want to leave. I am sure, however, that I will forever remember that woman on the crowded subway who made my night.

Jo Tudisco-Guntert (Sweet Briar College)

Cartoon by Asher Frankfurt (USC)